Monday, July 14, 2008

New Chapter

Ok, I know it sounds cliche, but this last week I dove into a new chapter of my life. I call this one "One Step Closer."

My previous chapter, "I Think I Can, I Think I Can..." was an interesting experiment involving me and a normal job. Not a combination that has lasted long in the past.

Summer 2000
20 hours a week
I worked at a desk in my dad's office. I had three responsibilities: greet guests, answer phones, enter data. I really liked it for the first week. After the first week I noticed I had a hard time sitting that long so I started looking for other things to do, like organizing my dad's desk for him. I was very happy with my work, he was not so happy because apparently he couldn't find anything anymore (poor Dad :). I went back to sitting. I lasted 6 weeks.

Fall 2005
30 hours a week
I'd never tried retail before (except for an unfortunate cheese job the Christmas after graduation) so I thought I should. I started a job in a home decor store at the mall. Loved it for the first month. They let me redecorate the displays sometimes. After that I realized I don't like redecorating that much so I started looking for other things to do, like telling the owner things that would make her business run much more smoothly. I was very excited about my work, she was not so excited because apparently she liked the way she was doing things already (poor owner).  I went back to sitting. I lasted 2 more weeks.

Fall 2006-Summer 2008
40 hours a week!
My dad was so proud that I was actually working full time. I was an admin at an actuarial firm. I answered the phones, greeted people and got to help with making the company more efficient. It was really good, and I enjoyed working with the employees there. But I was still sitting. Darn. I lasted 22 month. Pretty darn good.

Lesson learned? Ashleigh + sitting job = not so good. I think Pilates and I will get along much better.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pilates sounds really fun! You will be GREAT!

Janice said...

Sounds like a fun job for you. Good Luck

Sarah said...

i bet you were really good at greeting people - but i can totally see you and sitting not getting along so well :) i would totally take a pilates class from you, if we lived closer!

Dal said...

ha ha ha! you are so crazy! "oh no poor me has to actually work" ha ha ha! I know the truth! I also knew it wouldn't last! Me and dad were actually just making fun of you for this same thing tonight! ha ha ha!

Dal said...

Just so that everyone knows for the record... I wasnt trying to offend Ash. That is just how I express my sisterly love! I show total honor and support of her professional endeavors.

For the record...